Oklahoma City’s Josh Giddey could be out of some big money.
The Aussie reportedly is at risk of losing a $40-million sponsorship deal with Weet-Bix amid an NBA investigation into the guard’s alleged inappropriate relationship with an underage girl.
A spokesperson for Sanitarium Health Food Company, who makes the cereal, said the company is aware of the situation, but said it had yet to cut ties with Giddey.
“We are obviously aware of news surrounding Josh Giddey and are waiting for facts to be confirmed,” the spokesperson told Code Sports, an Australia-based news agency.
“We are in contact with Josh’s management team and waiting on further detail at this point.”
Giddey, who had appeared on Weet-Bix cereal boxes and other marketing for the brand, reportedly has been removed from the company’s social media accounts.
The allegations emerged on social media last Wednesday, when posts surfaced of Giddey with a girl alleged to be 15 years old, captioned “just f***ed Josh Giddey.”
The NBA says it is looking into the allegations of Giddey having an inappropriate relationship with a minor, but there has been no police involvement as of Monday according to the New York Post.
Giddey had no comment when asked about the allegations last week.
“I understand the question obviously but no, there is no further comment right now,” Giddey said. “I get the questions guys, I completely understand you guys want to know about it, but just for right now I don’t have anything to say.”
When asked about the investigation, Thunder head coach Mark Daigneault said: “It’s obviously a league matter at this point, the ball’s in their court on that.”
The current investigation has not stopped Giddey from hitting the court, though. He played 26 minutes for the Thunder on Saturday against the 76ers, scoring 10 in a 127-123 loss. OKC’s next matchup is Tuesday night against the Minnesota Timberwolves as part of the NBA In-Season Tournament.
Recommended from Editorial
Free throw shooting has been truly foul for the Raptors. That has to change
RAPTORS GRADES: Tough loss, but not a bad overall night for Toronto against Cavs
Share this article in your social network